Customizable Healthy Baby Bites is an easy, healthy recipe able to be modified to suit a particular infant, toddler or mom’s preferences. The recipe is vegetarian as written but protein and veggie packed!
Life can certainly be unpredictable and with an infant in the house it is even more. I am certainly not complaining because I know that we are blessed 🙂 However, Baby Girl has been going through a bit of a sleep regression during this evil Leap 6 along with some crankiness and irritability. I know it is only a temporary setback and we will will get back on track but I sooooo can’t wait for it to be over!
I am sure I am not helping the situation… I too have been in a funk lately. I have been dealing with lack of motivation and energy. I just can’t get myself to do anything but the basics!! I am not telling you all this to get your sympathy (I know there are a lot of mamas out there who can totally relate) but just to explain, I guess, a reason for being a bit MIA here on the blog. I am working on it guys!! This week is my birthday too and I am not looking forward to it!! This upcoming year will be my last in my 30’s and it is really hitting me hard…
Ok…enough of my vent and let’s get back to the reason that we are here today, this Customizable Healthy Baby Bites!
I wanted to put together a base recipe for you to customize to your baby’s and your taste/wants/needs! I hope that it can be a go-to for you put in your back pocket so that you will also be able to whip up something healthy for your lil ones (and yourself)! Baby Girl is such a good eater and I love that she loved this Healthy Baby Bites!!
Start with your grain of choice – it can be rice, quinoa, lentils or a combination. I found a combination of brown jasmine rice, lentils and red quinoa that worked quite well. Then add any combination of vegetables that you like or happen to have on-hand. I had a bag of the classic mixed vegetables in the freezer – that’ll work 😉 Next, let’s throw in some cheese because cheese makes EVERYTHING BETTER!! Am I right? I used shredded cheddar but you could use any that you like 🙂 And we need a few eggs to bind everything together and few mild spices to give us some flavor! I think because I continued to eat everything with spice when I was pregnant, Baby Girl LOVES some spice – not too much but more than you would expect for an almost 9 month old 🙂
Mix it all up and portion into your muffin pans!! I love these silicon muffin pan (affiliate link) –> http://amzn.to/2yhu7ZK . They make clean-up a breeze!! You can literally just rinse them off 🙂 That makes this mama very happy 🙂
I did one tray of mini healthy baby bites for Baby Girl and one tray of using the regular muffin size for mama 🙂
Bake ’em up until they are golden brown 🙂 Once they are cool to the touch, you and baby can enjoy a Healthy Baby Bite!! Protein and veggie packed goodness in a fun nibble 🙂
Here is your recipe for Customizable Healthy Baby Bites:
- 1 cup whole grain rice blend (the one that I used was a blend of brown jasmine rice, lentils and red quinoa)
- 2¼ cup water (more or less depending on the rice blend that is used)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (I used a frozen Classic Mixed Vegetable Blend of corn, carrots, peas and cut green beans)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray either 2 mini muffin pans, 2 regular muffin pans or one of each (depending on the size bites you want) with non stick cooking spray or use silicon muffin pans.
- Cook rice blend according to package instructions and let cool slightly.
- Defrost vegetables if using frozen or chop fresh veggies into small pieces.
- Combine rice, vegetables, eggs, cheese and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine thoroughly
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown (the cooking time will vary based on the muffin pan size used).
- Remove from oven and let cool to touch.
Then place in freezer bags or vacuum seal.
Freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat: place in the microwave for 30 seconds on high, in intervals until they are warmed through.