Easy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes is the best side dish recipe ever! Great for potluck or holiday dinners! Yummy, make-ahead, portable and easy cleanup…what more could you want?
So I know we are past the holidays and you are probably thinking, “Why is she sharing a mashed potato recipe now? Those are for the holidays…um…is she running that far behind???” And you are right LOL, but I made these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes on a whim for New Year’s Day. Actually it was pure laziness! LOL 🙂 We were going over to my sister’s house for New Year’s Day. She was doing a ham and her mother-in-law was doing the traditional southern New Year’s foods like black eyed peas (here is my recipe for New Year’s dish) and cabbage. My dad isn’t a fan of those sides and he requested some mashed potatoes to go with the ham.
I was going to do my usual mashed potatoes but got to thinking that I wanted to try slow cooker mashed potatoes. Why not? No boiling and draining potatoes, let the slow cooker do the work and then you can easily transport these where you are going right in the slow cooker. Once you have arrived at your destination, you can keep the potatoes warm with the slow cooker. WINNER 🙂
Y’all I finally took the plunge and joined the world by jumping on the Instant Pot bandwagon!! I F-I-N-A-L-L-Y bought one and it should be arriving on Wednesday (Thank you Amazon Prime!!) Here is the one that I bought, if you would like to check it out (affiliate link) –> http://amzn.to/2AFPDrs 🙂 I am soooo excited!! It is a late Christmas present for myself 🙂 I think that this recipe for slow cooker mashed potatoes would be great in the instant pot too!! I will share if and when I try it 🙂
Here is your recipe for Easy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes:
- 5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk of choice, warmed
- Place a slow cooker liner in the bowl of a slow cooker or spray with nonstick cooking spray
- Add potatoes and smashed garlic
- Sprinkle butter over potatoes
- Add salt and pepper
- Pour water over potatoes
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until potatoes are very tender
- Turn slow cooker to the "warm" setting
- Add warmed milk. Mash and stir the potatoes to achieve desired consistency.
- Test seasonings and add more if desired.
- Cover and keep on warm setting until ready to eat. (will keep for a couple of hours)