Mediterranean Pork and Orzo is a quick, easy and healthy recipe perfect for hectic weeknights. The spinach, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and mediterranean spices jazz up this simple dish into a meal that the whole family will love!
I want to start off this post by apologizing to you guys… I know I haven’t been posting very much and what I am posting is more sponsored content (gotta pay the bills y’all). But life has been in crazy-mode here lately! The hubs has been working more hours than usual (he usually works about 60 hours a week and here lately it has been more like 80 hours a week) and so I have been pretty much single parenting!! Here is a big shout out to all you single parents out there!! Man it is tough…no joke!! And I even have a big support network with my parents next door. In addition, my sister, her husband and their twin 9 month old boys are actually living with my parents right now until they can close on their new house (their old house sold in 3 hours!!) 🙂 I just can’t seem to find the time…Baby Girl is now 5 months old and needs me so much! I am totally not complaining because I know there will come the day that I am longing for her to need me. But between bottles, playtime, diaper changes and the CLEANING – did I mention the cleaning? Oh and we are starting solids too! I am trying to take a more “baby led weaning” approach and let her feed herself so more of the food ends up on the floor, in the high chair and on her than in her mouth. Let’s just say I made the best purchase EVER yesterday by purchasing a hand-held vacuum cleaner – this one (affiliate link) –> http://amzn.to/2uG1kx9! Needless to say once I am rocking her to sleep at night, I am exhausted and usually fall asleep shortly thereafter.
Anywho…that is my reason and I guess I am sorry not sorry 😉 I wouldn’t trade it for the world! But today, I am finally going to share with you a non-sponsored recipe! I finally found time to make it, take pictures of it, edit them and now I am getting it on the blog! Yay me!! LOL 🙂 I only have a few pics, but I have them and I will take it 🙂
This Mediterranean Pork and Orzo is just what I am needing in my life right now! I found this recipe and made a few changes to it. It is quick and easy and guess what? It is healthy too!! Not the healthiest recipe I have even put on the blog but I am good with it! Yes, I took some shortcuts (heck ya! I am looking at you frozen chopped spinach and jarred roasted red peppers) but it was a crowd pleaser! Did I mention that I am now cooking for not just my parents, the hubs and myself but my sister and brother-in-law too? Everyone seemed to like it, even the twins! They had some of the orzo leftovers 🙂
Here is your printable recipe for Mediterranean Pork and Orzo:
- 1 cup orzo
- 6 bone-in pork chops
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper seasoning blend, divided
- 1 tbsp. cumin, divided
- 1 tbsp. coriander, divided
- 1 tbsp. oregano, divided
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1 box (approx. 5 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Cook orzo according to the package instructions. Reduce total cooking time by 1 minute. Reserve 1 cup of starchy cooking water. Drain and return to hot pot. Set aside.
- Season the pork chops with about half of the amount of each of the spices listed, saving the other half for the orzo.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the pork chops and cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add wine to the pan to deglaze and reduce by half, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add spinach, red pepper, feta and reserved spices to the orzo and stir to combine. Add a bit of the starchy cooking water (I probably used about ⅓ to ½ cup) to create a sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve orzo with a pork chop on top.