Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa is a beautiful, quick and easy side dish for grilled meats. Use as an healthy appetizer for a game day spread.
How is everyone doing? I can’t believe that it has been a month since we last chatted! But before we talk about today’s recipe for Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa, I hope you will indulge me for a moment to chat about the big changes that have been going on in my world… Life has really been a very blessed whirlwind of activities and emotions for my little family during this time 🙂 You all know that I was out on maternity leave from the blog (and I am only back on a part-time, limited basis for now…so please be patient with me) for the arrival of my daughter. So without further ado, let me introduce you to Addilyn Rose Miller!!
Isn’t she a doll? I may be just a tad biased but I think that she is just gorgeous and she already has the sweetest personality! She is a really good baby too (based on my limited knowledge of babies…lol)!! She is tiny but has a hearty appetite 🙂 She was only 6 lbs. 2 oz. when she was born and got down to 5 lbs. 10 oz. in the hospital. She had gotten up to 5 lbs. 13 oz. by our first pediatrician appointment at 5 days old. We have a follow-up appointment tomorrow and we are hoping that her weight has continued to climb and are excited to see how much she now weighs at 3 1/2 weeks.
Thank you for letting me have that proud mama moment 😉 Now let’s get back to today’s recipe for Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa!!
Spring officially starts on Monday but I have been having a mean case of spring fever for the past couple of weeks 🙂 We had been having really warm, springlike weather around here but then we got a nasty cold snap just to remind us that winter isn’t quite done yet! While I am very thankful that we didn’t have to deal with Blizzard Stella or a nor’easter around these parts, we still had freezing temperatures and colder than usual conditions and I can’t stand the cold!! This weather just made me long for the warmth and fresh veggies and herbs that come with the Spring and Summer months.
I actually made this Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa to go with grilled pork chops the weekend before I had Addi. It was especially warm that weekend and we took full advantage of it by using the grill and having this beautiful side dish that is packed full of fresh veggies and spring/summer flavors. My inspiration for this Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa was this recipe on Allrecipes.com
Here is your recipe for Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad / Salsa:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red green pepper, chopped
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp. ancho chili pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili pepper, more or less to taste
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- If using frozen corn, defrost and steam for a few minutes in microwave until just tender.
- If using fresh corn, cut off the kernel and steam for a few minutes in microwave until just tender.
- Place corn in refrigerator to chili while preparing other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all other ingredients and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.