Summer Garden Fresh Cantaloupe Salsa is a healthy & unique version of the mexican appetizer recipe. Sweet and savory flavors from cantaloupe, tomatoes, peppers, lime, garlic and cilantro come together for a winning combo! Yum!!
Who is ready for vacay???? Me, me, me!! We leave for a full week on the lake on Friday morning and this girl couldn’t be happier or more ready! We are going a little bit later in the summer than usual this year and the summer has seemed to inch a long at a snail’s pace leading up to our big trip! I have been so ready to go for what seems like weeks, but now that it is just a few shorts days away, I am totally stressing over making sure that I have everything packed and ready to go! Am I really that girl?? Yep, I am the one that is stressing over vacation… (insert eye roll)
So all that being said, I have been slacking a little on the blog (sorry y’all…call it a summertime slump), but I am here today with something that I know you will just love!! It is my Summer Garden Fresh Cantaloupe Salsa 🙂 It all came about when lil man came to stay with us last weekend and brought with him several cantaloupes and a watermelon from his grandparent’s farm (his mama’s parents). He was so proud to have brought us these gifts that I knew that I needed to make something special with it 🙂
I was feeling a bit snacky and thought it might be good to combine sweet and savory flavors into a fresh cantaloupe salsa! We had plenty of tomatoes and peppers that needed to be used and we are always big fans of cilantro and lime, so I put all of those together for my Summer Garden Fresh Cantaloupe Salsa!
My mom took one bite and was like, “WOW!! That is really good!” She is not a big snacker, so for her to dive in really made me smile 🙂 The hubs couldn’t seem to get enough of it (after saying, “A cantaloupe salsa, really???” and turning his nose up to it before I made it…ha ha)! He really should know better by now not to doubt my cooking (JK…I definitely still have complete fails from time to time…LOL) 😉
We snacked on this salsa with whole grain tortilla chips prior to dinner on Sunday evening. The sweetness of the cantaloupe paired so beautifully with the hint of spice from the peppers and the tang of the the tomatoes and lime and a hint of saltiness! Dad was cooking pork chops on the grill (marinated in his special marinate…you can find the recipe for that HERE) and I thought this fresh cantaloupe salsa would be a great topper for the grilled pork. Man, I wasn’t wrong on that one!! The fresh cantaloupe salsa just gave the pork an added layer of flavor that was so yummy!!
Here is your recipe for Summer Garden Fresh Cantaloupe Salsa:
- 4 cups fresh cantaloupe, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 5-6 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup mild pepper (bell - any color, sweet banana, cubanelle, anaheim, etc)
- ½ cup spicy pepper (jalapeno, serrano, havasu, etc
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice from one lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Add cantaloupe, peppers, garlic and olive oil to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add lime zest and juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Give it one more good stir to combine.
- Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Chill for 1 -2 hours prior to serving.
- Give it one last stir.
- Serve with whole grain tortilla chips or as a topping for your favorite grilled meat or fish.
Tell me…how are you enjoying the “dog days” of summer?