Carb Conscious Lettuce Wraps with Roasted Garlic Homemade Hummus and Fresh Veggies are a quick, easy and nutritious lunch recipe using wholesome HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® lunchmeat for a clean eating meal idea.
My life now revolves around 3 hour time blocks. Why 3 hours? Well… my 10-week-old daughter is a very good eater and she “demands” to be fed about every three hours 😉 She eats, plays for a little while and then naps. The cycle repeats like that throughout the day. Her nights are a little bit of a longer stretch and of course, we eliminate the play time 😉 This is the schedule that she is on for now and we are working toward longer cycles (especially at night) as she gets older. I have very little time to prepare meals within those parameters but I am also working toward getting my body back into shape after pregnancy. I am proud to say that at 5 weeks postpartum, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight!! I have done this by choosing wholesome, nutritious and mostly clean foods to incorporate into my diet.
The other day when I was grocery shopping, I found HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® lunchmeats.
A quick scan of the packaging and I found that they are:
- 100% natural, no artificial ingredients and minimally processed
- No nitrates or no nitrates added (except for those naturally occurring in cultured celery and cherry powder)
- The turkey and pork are raised without added hormones (federal regulations prohibits the use of hormones in poultry and pork)
Also and big for me with a new baby and all the added expenses that come with her: they are affordable! Their lunchmeat costs the same amount as the un-natural stuff, making them a real winner for this frugal mama.
I picked up the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Ham and the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Turkey to make a Carb Conscious Lettuce Wrap with Roasted Garlic Homemade Hummus and Fresh Veggies. It is a quick, easy and nutritious lunch recipe and has been my go-to meal over the past few weeks.
The key to a carb conscious lettuce wrap is prepping ahead all of the ingredients needed and storing them in the refrigerator for the week. You don’t actually assemble the wraps until you are ready to eat because the lettuce will get soggy and gross – I found that one out the hard way 😉 I usually prep my ingredients either during a very good nap (read: long nap) or when the hubs is home and he can be on baby duty. I also love that a carb conscious lettuce wrap is very versatile and customizable. The ingredients that I have listed in the “recipe” below are just ideas. If you don’t have something that I mention, then substitute what you do have on hand. Of course we are trying to keep these as clean as possible, so try to choose the most wholesome ingredients. However if you are a new mom, like me, then sometimes you just have to make do 😉
The Roasted Garlic Homemade Hummus is the “glue” that holds the wrap together. It is also a much better option for you than mayo or another dressing. Making the hummus at home is quick and easy! The oven does the work on roasting the garlic for you. I used canned chickpeas in my hummus because of the ease factor, but you could use dried ones and cook them, if desired.
This Carb Conscious Lettuce Wrap with Roasted Garlic Homemade Hummus and Fresh Veggies literally takes less than 5 minutes to put together if you have all of the ingredients ready and waiting on you in the refrigerator. So once I finally have her down for her mid-afternoon nap, I can whip up a quick lunch for me that will fill me up and keep me on track to getting my body back in shape. Learn more about HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® products and why I have switched to their lunchmeats by visiting their by visiting their website or find them on Facebook, Pinterest or YouTube.
Here is your recipe for Carb Conscious Lettuce Wrap with Roasted Garlic Homemade Hummus and Fresh Veggies:
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup tahini
- Juice of one lemon
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 head butter lettuce, rinsed and separated into individual leaves
- Roasted Garlic Hummus (from above)
- 1 package (8 oz.) HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Ham
- 1 package (8 oz.) HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Turkey
- 1 english cucumber, chopped into matchsticks
- 10 assorted mini bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed and chopped into matchsticks
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 avocado, pit and skin removed and sliced into long strips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the top of the head of garlic to expose the bulbs. Place garlic in aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and cover tightly with aluminum foil to seal.
- Roast garlic for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Place the chickpeas, tahini and lemon juice in a food processor. Add 3-4 cloves of the roasted garlic by gently squeezing them out of the head of garlic.
- Place the lid on the food processor and turn on. Stream in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for until needed.
- Spread a teaspoon of hummus on a lettuce leaf
- Top with a slice of each of the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Ham and HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Turkey
- Spread another teaspoon of hummus on top of the lunchmeat
- Top with a few pieces of cucumber, bell peppers, carrots and avocado
- Roll up burrito style and secure with toothpick
What’s your go-to quick and easy lunch? Comment below for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#Sweeps” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from SheKnows via the email@example.com. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 5/15/17- 7/31/17
Be sure to visit the brand page on Sheknowsmedia.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!