Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls. The opinions and text are all mine.
#ad Creamy Baked Pumpkin Pie Empanadas is healthier and easy dessert recipe perfect for holiday entertaining made with a trusted brand, Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. They are mini kid-approved treats with all the flavors of the fall season and pumpkin pie while saving time to spend with family. #ItsBakingSeason
Happy Halloween y’all!! Can you believe it? We are already celebrating Halloween and that November (yes, November) begins tomorrow!? I certainly can’t and it seems that this year is just flying past us! Anybody with me? I guess we can official say that it is the holiday season!
And since that is the case, let’s start talking about holiday celebrations and entertaining…this year we certainly have plenty to celebrate! It will be my twin nephews’ first holidays and we will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of our lil girl!! I know that I am not going to have a lot of extra energy for all the prep work that goes into preparing for the holidays with my advancing pregnancy, so I am looking for a little extra help where I can get it 😉
We all love Pillsbury Original Crescent rolls with our holiday meals, but I got to thinking that maybe I could use them in creative and innovative way 🙂 Y’all have heard me say before that baking is not my thing, but all that I have been craving in my pregnancy is sweets so I have been baking more than usual. However I need little helpers to make my baking endeavors a little easier 😉
I grabbed a Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls Twin Pack (8 oz) at a trip to my local Walmart and set off to create a quick, easy and healthier version of the classic holiday celebration dessert, Pumpkin Pie! I certainly didn’t want to take the time to actually put together pies and would rather spend that time with my family! I came up with these yummy bite-sized little wonders, Creamy Baked Pumpkin Pie Empanadas!!
Real pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, cream cheese made with greek yogurt and using greek yogurt as the base for the glaze are all easy swaps that make these treats more healthy and the ease of using the Pillsbury Crescents Rolls makes them super simple!!
Here is your recipe for Creamy Baked Pumpkin Pie Empanadas:
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin pie puree
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup (8 oz. package) reduced fat greek yogurt cream cheese, softened
- ½ pecans, finely chopped
- 2 (8 oz. each) packages of Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- splash of water
- 2 tbsp. plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat pumpkin and brown sugar in a medium saucepan, over medium heat, for approximately 5 minutes. Stir frequently ensuring that all the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, (or pumpkin pie spice) vanilla and sea salt and stir to combine.
- Take pumpkin mixture off the heat and let cool slightly.
- Add cream cheese and pecans and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk egg and water in a small bowl.
- Unroll crescent rolls and split into 8 triangles using the perforated line in the dough and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add about one tablespoon of pumpkin mixture on each triangle of crescent dough.
- Fold the dough over the pumpkin mixture to form triangles shapes and pinch the edges to seal.
- Brush the top of each empanada with the egg wash.
- Use a fork to poke a few holes in the tops of the empanadas.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the empanadas are baking, prepare the glaze.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together greek yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once empanadas are cooled, drizzle glaze over the top and let dry for a few minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate if desired.
2. You will have leftover pumpkin filling. The leftover filling is awesome on toast, bagels, biscuits or mixed into oatmeal for a yummy breakfast treat!