Healthier Butternut Squash Casserole with Panko Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping uses Kikkoman Panko bread crumbs for the perfect holiday side dish recipe for the Christmas/Hanukkah season!
Can y’all believe that we are already talking about the holidays? It seems like we should still be enjoying lazy lake days and boat rides and not starting to think about what might be on the menu for holiday dinners… Unfortunately, the days are getting shorter, so let’s be proactive this year and start contemplating those holiday menu options now!
We have worked hard all summer (and now into the fall) to keep our healthier lifestyles and waistlines in check, so now is not the time to let all that hard work go just because we can now wear baggy sweaters and jeans 😉 If you are anything like me, you are looking for healthier options to add to our holiday menu and lucky for you, today I have a great option for you with my Healthier Butternut Squash Casserole with Panko Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping.
Now, Kikkoman might not be the first brand that you think of for holiday recipes, as the #1 Asian brand with its soy sauces and marinades, but as I just learned they also make wonderful Panko Bread Crumbs that are a great addition to many holiday recipes!!
Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs are made fresh from specially baked, crustless bread. With an oblong shape, Panko crumbs are larger, crispier and lighter, so they coat without “packing” like regular bread crumbs, allowing foods to stay crispier longer. Their delicate, crisp texture makes them the ideal choice for baked or fried foods. And, they’re unseasoned, making them perfect for sweet recipes too. I kept it savory, light and best of all super easy with my Healthier Butternut Squash Casserole with Panko Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping!! It is loaded with simple and wholesome ingredients like butternut squash, fresh herbs, Greek yogurt, and egg whites.
The crispy and flavorful panko parmesan topping of this healthy butternut squash casserole pairs beautifully with the tender and simply seasoned squash to let its yummy flavor shine through! And this is one casserole that you certainly don’t have to feel bad about going back for seconds of this holiday season 🙂 Go for it y’all!! YOU’RE WELCOME!!
Oh and I have another fun tip for you today! Do you shy away from butternut squash during the holiday season because it is such a pain to peel and chop? I know I did even though it is such a powerful addition to add to your diet!! It is one of the most nutritious and healthiest veggies that you can eat this season 🙂 It is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as dietary fiber! It not only tastes really yummy (and is kid-approved) but it is low in calories and surprisingly filling so it can be your secret weapon to keep you away from the dessert table 😉 You could buy the pre-chopped butternut squash that the grocery stores have available, but I have found that it seems to lack the flavor and be super bland. I needed to find a way to prep butternut squash that wouldn’t raise my blood pressure because who needs the extra stress, especially during the holiday season? The hack is using your microwave to steam the butternut squash BEFORE peeling!! Steaming it also cooks the squash a bit so the overall cooking time is reduced 🙂 The details are below in my recipe, so please continue reading 😉 I am super stoked that I found this hack and I couldn’t wait to share it with you!!
Here is your recipe for Healthier Butternut Squash Casserole with Panko Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping:
- 2 (approximately 2 lbs. each) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, divided, to taste
- 3 egg whites or about ¾ cup liquid egg whites or egg substitutes
- 2 small containers (5 oz. each) non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1 cup Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Poke several holes on all sides of each butternut squash.
- Slice the top and bottom off of each squash, place in the microwave and cooks for 5 minutes.
- Let squash cool to the touch and then carefully peel using a vegetable peeler or knife.
- Cut squash open, scoop out pulp and seeds and chop into cubes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add onions and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onion has soften and beginning to become translucent.
- Add chopped squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook squash mixture, stirring as needed to cook evenly, for approximately 10 minutes or until squash is slightly tender and fragrant. Transfer squash mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- While squash is cooking, add egg whites, Greek yogurt, rosemary, nutmeg and sage to a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over top of squash in casserole dish.
- Finish casserole dish by sprinkling breadcrumb mixture evenly over top.
- Bake squash casserole in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender, the casserole is bubbling and breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
Now I have a fun giveaway for you!! To enter to win… Tell me in the comments below about your favorite holiday tradition and how you could use a Kikkoman product for one of the recipes on your next holiday menu!
Answer my question in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/28/16 – 12/31/16