My homemade healthy pita chips always get rave reviews and here is a little secret…THEY ARE SO EASY!!! They are very versatile as well. You can use them for salsas, like my Avocado Cilantro Salsa or just about any dip that you might be serving. They add so much flavor and crunch. They are best warm, but can be made ahead of time and carried easily to any function that you might need to bring some nibbles to…
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Start with a bag of whole wheat pita bread. This is the brand that my local grocery store has but your’s might carry something different. You will most likely find the pita bread in the deli section and not on the bread isle. One bag will make plenty of pita chips to feed a large crowd. I typically only use 3 of the 6 pita breads for our group of 4-6, depending on who’s coming over.
Take each pita bread and slice in half, like you would do to make a pita into a sandwich. Split the two halves and then cut into fourths. So for each pita bread “slice” you will end up with 16 triangles for healthy pita chips. For 3 pita bread “slices”, you will end up with 48 triangles.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil (this makes clean up a breeze later). Use your olive oil mister to mist olive oil on the cookie sheet. Scatter your pita triangles evenly around the baking sheet. Mist the olive oil on top of the pita triangles. If you don’t have an olive oil mister, you could drizzle your olive oil over the pita triangles. You will end up with a bit more oil but it would work fine. Sprinkle pretty generously with montreal seasoning (or salt and pepper) and red pepper flake (if you don’t mind a little heat). Place in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until your healthy pita chips are golden brown.
Healthy Pita Chips: Serve and enjoy with your favorite dip or salsa!!
- 3 Pita Bread "slices"
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp montreal seasoning
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flake
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate 3 loaves from a bag of whole wheat pita bread.
- Slice each in half.
- Split the two halves and then cut into fourths. So for each pita bread you will end up with 16 triangles for pita chips. For 3 pita breads, you will end up with 48 triangles.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mist olive oil on the cookie sheet.
- Scatter your pita triangles evenly around the baking sheet.
- Mist the olive oil on top of the pita triangles.
- Sprinkle pretty generously with montreal seasoning and red pepper flake
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite dip or salsa!