Easiest Roasted Butternut Squash is a simple and healthy holiday side dish recipe. No peeling, 5 minutes of prep work and let the oven do the rest of the work for this wholesome addition to your festive menu!
Can you believe that Christmas is only 9 days away!?!? Are you ready? I think I have pretty much everything done – the house is decorated (tree, stockings, lights, etc., etc.), the presents are bought and wrapped and the stockings are hung. Check, check, check. Oh what is that? How about that Christmas dinner menu? Do you have that planned out?
In my last post, I shared with you my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes that are a staple on our holiday menus. The addition of the wholesome cauliflower is one of the ways that I try to add healthful components to our holiday menus.
Another menu item that I have been added more recently is my Easiest Roasted Butternut Squash that I want to share with you today! I love the idea of added a wholesome vegetable like butternut squash to the menu. Not only is it delicious but it is nutritious and loaded with Vitamin A!! Just 1 cup of cooked butternut squash has 457% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A AND is a good source of fiber, potassium, and magnesium.
The problem is that it is a pain in the butt to prepare – until NOW!! The peeling and cubing of the stuff that is required in most recipes will put the grinch back in Christmas 😉 However now that I have figured out this yummy and super simple method of preparing my butternut squash, I am happily adding to all of our holiday menus 🙂
Here is your recipe for the Easiest Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 2 medium to large butternut squash
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. light brown sugar
- Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- LIne a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Slice the top and bottom off of the butternut squash, slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place butternut squash pieces on prepared baking sheet flesh side up, skin side down.
- Drizzle butternut squash with olive oil and then sprinkle each half with 1 tsp of brown sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for 50-60 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and then slice into approximately 1 inch pieces.
- Serve immediately or cover with foil to keep warm until serving.